Starship Modeler - The complete information source for modelers who build sci-fi, fantasy and real space subjects

Starship Modeler's Starfury Accessories

By Joe Belding - images & text © 2003

Scale: 1/72
Parts: 4 resin (cannon set); 12 resin (missile set)
Instructions: 1 sheet assembly guide (each set). Good photos and well written. They'll help you so make it a point to read them.
Decals: N/A
Molding Quality: 9 - Compared to the kit guns they're a 10, but they do need to be modified a tiny bit to fit properly and have a very small seam that needs to be cleaned.
Detail: 9
Accuracy: 8 - not exeact, but certainly look the part
MSRP: $6.00 USD (~$7.80 CAN/ 5.01 EUR) available from Starship Modeler
Overall Rating: Very reasonable price and a good value.

[Click to enlarge]

The Starship Modeler Store resin replacement guns and optional missiles are nice little detail kits. They offer an otherwise OK kit a vast improvement.

[Click to enlarge]

[Seam on the barrel]

^ The seam on the barrel is easily removed

[Barrel bored out]

^ The barrel bored out further, then painted

[Pour stub to be removed]

^ The pour stub is easily removed

[Exhaust area smoothed off]

^ Exhaust area smoothed off

[Bell hollowed out]

^ Exhaust area finished

Image: In place on the model

All parts are cast in a baby blue resin that sands and cuts easily. The detail is crisp and the mold lines are minimal. A page of photo filled instructions come with each set. A modeler with a good basic skills should be able to handle these kits with minimum effort.

Using the Parts

First, I gave all the parts a bath in warm soapy water to get rid of any lingering release agent.

Clean up on the 4 guns was pretty straight forward. There's a small seam that runs along the length of the guns. A few swipes with a needle file or sandpaper quickly eliminates them. Just remember to sand along the gun's curvature so you don't accidentally create a flat spot. The barrels are drilled out already, but a little shallow. I drilled them out further using a hand drill to give them all a uniform depth. A drop of black/metallic paint gives them a nice sinister look.

Clean up on the missiles and their pylons was also fairly straightforward. I scored the resin pour stubs from each missile engine, and each pylon, carefully with a hobby knife. Then I gave them a gentle snap to remove the excess. The traditional razor saw will also work just as well.

For the pylons, I taped them all together and sanded the edges smooth. This is when paying attention to directions helps. Don't mess up the notch that will fit the bend in the wing. If you mess with this now, you may end up with missles getting mounted on pylons at a steep angle.

The missiles have no seam line, but the exhausts are pretty bare. After I got rid of the pour stubs, I sanded the nozzles flat. I used a Dremel and hollowed out the the now flat exhaust cones. Using the same drop of black/metallic paint gave them a nice depth too. If you have a few Kotubukyia or Wave option verniers (HLJ.com offers these in their sci-fi accessories menu), it would be an easy chore to replace the exhaust cones entirely for even more detail.

I assembled the Starfury per the resin parts instructions. When it came time for the guns to be installed I began dry fitting them to form a plan. I paired them off to which guns would be top and bottom. The kit has alignment pins for the old guns molded on the inner surface of the top wing. These need to be removed to fit the new guns so I dremeled them off. The new resin guns need to be sanded slightly on their tops to fit in between the top wings' sections. Sand a little and dry fit often while checking the top wings inner parts' fit to get the best results. Once I was satisfied with the result, I crazy-glued them in place and assembled the top wing with the inner wing part.

For the lower set, I cut a tiny cube of resin from the inside top corners of the gun body's to fit them on the model. Again, a little bit of planning and dry fitting helps get things properly aligned. The best results for the missile pylons and missiles is to temporarily glue the missiles to the pylons. Use the instructions to find the pylon placement. I used a tiny drop of Elmers glue; a tiny drop of glue from a hot glue gun would also work. (you want to be able to easily remove the missile, which these glues allow.) This will give you a great way to ensure the missiles are all lined up and angled right. Once the pylon hits the perfect spot and the missiles all aim straight, crazy glue them to the wing. Once the crazy glue has dried, carefully pull the missiles from the pylon and paint them.

Conclusions

I'm pretty happy with the way my 'fury turned out using these accessories. Average modelers should be able to handle these kits well. Beginers may be challenged a little.

Please note that the opinions expressed in this article are those of the reviewer.
Read other reader's reviews of this kit      Submit your own review of this kit

Go back up | Babylon 5 Index | Starship Modeler Home | Site Map | Feedback

This page copyright © 2003 Starship Modeler™. First posted on 18 November 2003.